since 2017: Research Assistant at the Department of Communication and Media Research, University of Zurich
since 2010: various (freelance) jobs/projects in consulting, market and media research
2016-2017: M.Sc. “Social Research Methods”, London School of Economics and Political Science (U.K., with “Distinction”)
2010-2016: M.A., B.A. in “Communication Science”, University of Münster (Germany, with “Distinction”)
- Crises and conflict communication, especially terrorism & media
- Trust and distrust in the media
- Automated content analysis/text as data
- Quantitative methodology
Publications in journals with peer-review
5. Wintterlin, F., Engelke, K., & Hase, V. (2019). Strategies of preserving journalism’s trustworthiness. Recipients’ views on transparency regarding user-generated content. Accepted for publication in Studies in Communication and Media.
4. Keller, T., Hase, V., Jagadish, T., Mahl, D., & Schäfer, M.S. (2019). News media coverage of climate change in India 1997-2016: Using automated content analysis to assess themes and topics. Environmental Communication. doi:10.1080/17524032.2019.1643383 (Link)
3. Engelke, K., Hase, V., Wintterlin, F. (2019). On measuring trust and distrust in journalism: Reflection of the status quo and suggestions for the road ahead. Journal of Trust Research, 9(1), 66-86. doi:10.1080/21515581.2019.1588741 (Link)
2. Grosser, K., Hase, V., & Wintterlin, F. (2019). Trustworthy or shady? Exploring the influence of verifying and visualizing UGC on online journalism's trustworthiness. Journalism Studies, 20(4), 500-522. doi:10.1080/1461670X.2017.1392255 (Link)
1. Birkner, T., & Hase, V. (2017). Framing German and global politics over three decades – A content analysis of the journalistic work of Helmut Schmidt. Medien und Zeit, 32(2), 30-42. (Link)
Articles in edited books (with* and without peer-review)
2. Grosser, K., Hase, V., & Blöbaum, B. (2016). Trust in online journalism. In: Blöbaum, B. (Hrsg.): Trust and communication in a digitized world. Models and concepts of trust research (S. 53-73). Wiesbaden: VS. (Link)
1. Boberg, S., Hase, V., & Johnson, D. (2016): Gerhard Schröder. In: Birkner, T. (Hrsg.): Medienkanzler. Politische Kommunikation in der Mediendemokratie (S. 221-261). Wiesbaden: VS. (Link)
Presentations (* full papers)
18. Hase. V. (2019). The Construction of Terrorism. Combining Machine Learning and Manual Content Analysis to Identify Patterns of Media Attention towards and Presentation of Terrorism. Paper presented at the Doctoral Colloquium of the Journalism Studies Conference of the DGPuK. 18.-20. September 2019, Eichstätt. [accepted]
17. Hase, V., Kieslich, K., Engelke, K., & Zeng, J. (2019). The Best of Two Worlds? Combining Automated and Manual Content Analysis to Assess Media Coverage. Poster presented at the 5th International Conference on Computational Social Science. 17.-20. July 2019, Amsterdam.
16.* Hellmüller, L., Hase, V., & Lindner, P. (2019). Terrorism in the News: Explaining Mediated Visibility of Organized Violence. Paper presented at the 69th Annual Conference of the International Communication Association (ICA). 24.-28. May 2019, Washington, D.C.
15.* Hase, V., Kieslich, K., & Engelke, K. (2019). The Things We Fear – Using Automated Content Analysis to Uncover How UK and US Media Construct Fear over Time (1990-2017). Paper presented at the 69th Annual Conference of the International Communication Association (ICA). 24.-28. May 2019, Washington, D.C.
14. Hase, V., Engelke, K., & Kieslich, K. (2019). Angst vor Terror, Klimawandel & Arbeitslosigkeit? Eine automatisierte Inhaltsanalyse von Themen und Trends im Kontext von Angst in den Medien. Paper presented at the Annual Conference of the German Communication Association (DGPuK). 9.-11. May 2019, Münster.
13. Badura, L., Engelke, K., & Hase, V. (2019). Incomplete, erroneous, and distorted information? The metajournalistic discourse about the risks of news media use for recipients. Paper presented at the Journalism Studies Section Conference of the ECREA 2019. 14.02.-15.02.2019, Vienna.
12. Engelke, K., Wintterlin, F., Hase, V., & Blöbaum, B. (2018). User comments in journalism. The recipients' view on the potential for deliberative discourse. Paper presented at the 7th European Communication Conference (ECREA). 31.10.-03.11.2018, Lugano.
11. Wintterlin, F., Hase, V. , & Engelke, K. (2018). Strategies of preserving trust in journalism: Recipients' view on transparency and verification of user-generated content. Paper presented at the 7th European Communication Conference (ECREA). 31. October - 03. November 2018, Lugano.
10. Djukaric, T., Hyllland, V., & Hase, V. (2018). Jihadist brides, victims of the West. The role of women in terrorism as suggested by extremist online propaganda. Paper presented at Vox Pol's third biennial conference: Violent extremism, terrorism, and the internet: Present and future trends. 20-21. August 2018, Amsterdam. Link to slides
9.* Hellmüller, L., & Hase, V. (2018). Giving voice to terrorists: A longitudinal model explaining how national political contexts influence media attention toward terrorist organizations. Paper presented at the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC). 06.-09. August 2018, Washington, D.C.
8.* Hase, V. (2018). Making us aware or making us afraid? Modelling the newsworthiness of terrorist attacks in the German news media. Paper presented at the 68th Annual Conference of the International Communication Association (ICA). 24.-28. May 2018, Prag.
7. Hase, V. (2018). Terror in den Medien: Eine Analyse relevanter Selektionskriterien in deutschen Online- und Offline-Medien [Terror in the news media: An analyis of selection criteria in German online and offline news media]. Annual Conference of the German Society for Journalism and Communication Studies (DGPuK). 09.-11. May 2018, Mannheim.
6. Hase, V. (2018). Ist ein Terroropfer in Europa deutschen Medien mehr wert als ein Toter anderswo? Die asymmetrische Aufmerksamkeit der Massenmedien gegenüber terroristischen Anschlägen [Is a victim in Europe worth more to German news media than death somewhere else? A study on asymmetric news media attention to terrorist incidents]. Political Communication Conference of the DGPuK, DVPW und SGKM. 08.-09. February 2018, Fribourg.
5.* Hase, V., Grosser, K., Wintterlin, F., & Blöbaum, B. (2017). User-generated content in online journalism. Exploring how verifying and visualizing UGC influences journalism’s trustworthiness. Paper presented at the 67th Annual Conference of the International Communication Association (ICA). 25.-29. May 2017, San Diego.
4. Hase, V. (2017). What about the audience? Individual correlations and reasons for trust in journalism. Conference of ECREA's Journalism Section. 23.-24. March 2017, Odense.
3. Grosser, K., Hase, V., Wintterlin, F., & Blöbaum, B. (2016). Trustworthy or shady - how does UGC influence journalism's trustworthiness in a digitized world? Conference of the European Communication Research and Education Association (ECREA). 9.-12. November 2016, Prag.
2. Hase, V. (2016). Business news before, during and after the financial crisis – mere reflection of economic developments or result of journalistic criteria of selection and presentation? Poster presented at the conference of the European Communication Research and Education Association (ECREA). 9.-12. November 2016, Prag.
1. Grosser, K., & Hase, V. (2015). Vertrauen in Online-Journalismus. Ein konzeptionelles Modell unter Berücksichtigung der Rezipienten und des Journalismus [Trust in online journalism. A conceptual model including both the audience and journalism]. Poster presented at the Conference "Digital journalism: Disruptive practice of a new paradigm". 5-6. November 2016, Hamburg.
Teaching experience (University of Zurich, University of Münster)
- "Crisis and risk communication" (research seminar, undergraduate level, two semesters, University of Zurich)
- "Media and terrorists" (research seminar, undergraduate level, two semesters, University of Zurich)
- "Data collection and analysis" (tutorial, undergraduate level, one semester, University of Münster)
Individual Awards & Grants
- Erasmus Mobility Grant (2018)
- Research Scholar, Research Training Group “Trust and Communication in a Digitized World”, DFG (2014-2015)
- Scholar of the German Association for International Cooperation (GIZ, 2015)
- Scholar of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD, Promos Program, 2015)
- Scholar of the Deutschlandstipendium (2011-2013)
Funds raised for third party funded projects
- Conference Funding Grant for Organization of Conference on "Media, Islam and the Middle East" (with A. Ali, U. Brandenburg, F. Dingerkus, E. Isabaeva, Z. Sarislan, C. Wyler, 2018)
- External evaluation and consulting project for a German TV production company (with B. Blöbaum, S. Boberg, 2015)
Neue Zürcher Zeitung (2019). Cyber-Jihad. Wie der IS den Terror im Netz geprägt hat. Video interview
- Chair of Young Scholars in Journalism Research (with J. Reimer, K. Boczek)
- Various positions in consulting, market and media research (including Hans-Bredow-Institute, LSE’s Think Tank Polis, KNB Consult KG) as well as in journalism (including Foreign Office of the ZDF in Washington, D.C., foreign affairs in Mainz; dpa headquarters in Mainz)