since 2017: Research Assistant at the Department of Communication and Media Research, University of Zurich
since 2010: various (freelance) jobs/projects in consulting, market and media research
2016-2017: M.Sc. “Social Research Methods”, London School of Economics and Political Science (U.K., with “Distinction”)
2010-2016: M.A., B.A. in “Communication Science”, University of Münster (Germany, with “Distinction”)
- Crises and conflict communication, especially terrorism & media
- Trust and distrust in the media
- Automated content analysis/text as data
- Quantitative methodology
Publications in journals with peer-review
Grosser, K., Hase, V., & Wintterlin, F. (2017). Trustworthy or shady? Exploring the influence of verifying and visualizing UGC on online journalism's trustworthiness. Journalism Studies. doi:10.1080/1461670X.2017.1392255 (Link)
Birkner, T., & Hase, V. (2017). Framing German and global politics over three decades – A content analysis of the journalistic work of Helmut Schmidt. Medien und Zeit, 32(2), 30-42. (Link)
Articles in edited books (with* and without peer-review)
Grosser, K., Hase, V., & Blöbaum, B. (2016). Trust in online journalism. In: Blöbaum, B. (Hrsg.): Trust and communication in a digitized world. Models and concepts of trust research (S. 53-73). Wiesbaden: VS. (Link)
Boberg, S., Hase, V., & Johnson, D. (2016): Gerhard Schröder. In: Birkner, T. (Hrsg.): Medienkanzler. Politische Kommunikation in der Mediendemokratie (S. 221-261). Wiesbaden: VS. (Link)
Badura, L., Engelke, K., & Hase, V. (2019). Incomplete, erroneous, and distorted information? The metajournalistic discourse about the risks of news media use for recipients. Paper presented at the Journalism Studies Section Conference of the ECREA 2019. 14.02.-15.02.2019, Vienna. [accepted]
Engelke, K., Wintterlin, F., Hase, V., & Blöbaum, B. (2018). User comments in journalism. The recipients' view on the potential for deliberative discourse. Paper presented at the 7th European Communication Conference (ECREA). 31.10.-03.11.2018, Lugano. [accepted]
Wintterlin, F., Hase, V. , & Engelke, K. (2018). Strategies of preserving trust in journalism: Recipients' view on transparency and verification of user-generated content. Paper presented at the 7th European Communication Conference (ECREA). 31. October - 03. November 2018, Lugano. [accepted]
Djukaric, T., Hyllland, V., & Hase, V. (2018). Jihadist brides, victims of the West. The role of women in terrorism as suggested by extremist online propaganda. Paper presented at Vox Pol's third biennial conference: Violent extremism, terrorism, and the internet: Present and future trends. 20-21. August 2018, Amsterdam. Link to slides
Hellmüller, L., & Hase, V. (2018). Giving voice to terrorists: A longitudinal model explaining how national political contexts influence media attention toward terrorist organizations. Paper presented at the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC). 06.-09. August 2018, Washington, D.C.
Hase, V. (2018). Making us aware or making us afraid? Modelling the newsworthiness of terrorist attacks in the German news media. Paper presented at the 68th Annual Conference of the International Communication Association (ICA). 24.-28. May 2017, Prag.
Hase, V. (2018). Terror in den Medien: Eine Analyse relevanter Selektionskriterien in deutschen Online- und Offline-Medien [Terror in the news media: An analyis of selection criteria in German online and offline news media]. Annual Conference of the German Society for Journalism and Communication Studies (DGPuK). 09.-11. May 2018, Mannheim.
Hase, V. (2018). Ist ein Terroropfer in Europa deutschen Medien mehr wert als ein Toter anderswo? Die asymmetrische Aufmerksamkeit der Massenmedien gegenüber terroristischen Anschlägen [Is a victim in Europe worth more to German news media than death somewhere else? A study on asymmetric news media attention to terrorist incidents]. Political Communication Conference of the DGPuK, DVPW und SGKM. 08.-09. February 2018, Fribourg.
Hase, V., Grosser, K., Wintterlin, F., & Blöbaum, B. (2017). User-generated content in online journalism. Exploring how verifying and visualizing UGC influences journalism’s trustworthiness. Paper presented at the 67th Annual Conference of the International Communication Association (ICA). 25.-29. May 2017, San Diego.
Hase, V. (2017). What about the audience? Individual correlations and reasons for trust in journalism. Conference of ECREA's Journalism Section. 23.-24. March 2017, Odense.
Grosser, K., Hase, V., Wintterlin, F., & Blöbaum, B. (2016). Trustworthy or shady - how does UGC influence journalism's trustworthiness in a digitized world? Conference of the European Communication Research and Education Association (ECREA). 9.-12. November 2016, Prag.
Hase, V. (2016). Business news before, during and after the financial crisis – mere reflection of economic developments or result of journalistic criteria of selection and presentation? Poster presented at the conference of the European Communication Research and Education Association (ECREA). 9.-12. November 2016, Prag.
Grosser, K., & Hase, V. (2015).Vertrauen in Online-Journalismus. Ein konzeptionelles Modell unter Berücksichtigung der Rezipienten und des Journalismus [Trust in online journalism. A conceptual model including both the audience and journalism]. Poster presented at the Conference "Digital journalism: Disruptive practice of a new paradigm". 5-6. November 2016, Hamburg.
Teaching experience (University of Zurich, University of Münster)
- "Crisis and risk communication" (research seminar, undergraduate level, two semesters, University of Zurich)
- "Media and terrorists" (research seminar, undergraduate level, two semesters, University of Zurich)
- "Data collection and analysis" (tutorial, undergraduate level, one semester, University of Münster)
Awards & Grants
- Mentee in ECREA's Political Communication Section's Mentoring Program (since 2018)
- Research Scholar, Research Training Group “Trust and Communication in a Digitized World”, DFG (2014-2015)
- Scholar of the German Association for International Cooperation (GIZ, 2015)
- Scholar of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD, Promos Program, 2015)
- Scholar of the Deutschlandstipendium (2011-2013)
Funds raised for third party funded projects
- Scientific Exchange Fund, SNF, Projekt: "Giving voice to terrorists" (with M. Schäfer & L. Hellmüller)
- External evaluation and consulting project for a German TV production company (with B. Blöbaum, S. Boberg)
- Chair of Young Scholars in Journalism Research (with J. Reimer, K. Boczek)
- Various positions in consulting, market and media research (including Hans-Bredow-Institute, LSE’s Think Tank Polis, KNB Consult KG) as well as in journalism (including Foreign Office of the ZDF in Washington, D.C., foreign affairs in Mainz; dpa headquarters in Mainz)
- Member of the International Communication Association (ICA); European Communication Research and Education Association (ECREA), German Communication Association (DGPuK), Swiss Association of Communication and Media Research (SGKM), Nachwuchsnetzwerk politische Kommunikation (NapoKo), Nachwuchsnetzwerk Journalismusforschung (NaJoFo)