Senior Research and Teaching Associate at the Department of Communication and Media Research, University of Zurich
Post-doc research fellow, Hans-Bredow-Institut, Germany
Doctoral scholarship, Digital Media Research Centre, Queensland University of Technology, Australia
MSc Social Science of the Internet , Oxford Internet Institute (OII), University of Oxford, UK
|2008-2012||BA International Communications (first-class honors), University of Nottingham, UK|
- Science and crisis communication
- Online activism
- Online rumour
Awards and scholarships
- 2017 “Algorithmed Public Sphere” Fellowship, Hans-Bredow-Institut
- 2014 QUT Postgraduate Award Scholarship, Queensland University of Technology
- 2012 Hoare’s Family Scholarship, Oxford University
- 2009-2011 Provost’s Scholarship, University of Nottingham
- Zeng, J., Chan, CH., and Fu, KW. (2017). How social media construct “truth” around crisis events: Weibo's rumor management strategies after the 2015 Tianjin Blasts. Policy & Internet. 9 (3), 297-320.
- Fung, I., Zeng J., Chan CH, Liang H, Yin J, Liu Z, Tse ZTH, Fu KW (2017). Twitter and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, South Korea, 2015: a multi-lingual study. Infection, Disease & Health, 23(1), 10-16.
- Zeng, J. (2015). How does information around acute events come into being on social media? JeDEM-eJournal of eDemocracy and Open Government, 7(1), 72-98.
Conference presentations and proceedings
- Zeng, J. (2016) How is misinformation regulated on Chinese Social media. Presented in Crossroads in Cultural Studies 2018, Sydney Australia.
- Zeng, J., Chan, CH., and Fu, KW. (2016). Can online rumour be a social good in an authoritarian state? Presented in Internet Research Conference 2016, Berlin, Germany.
- Zeng, J, Burgess, J., Bruns, A. (2015). The challenges of Weibo for data-driven digital media research. Presented in Internet Research Conference 2015, Phoenix, Arizona, USA.
- Zeng, J. (2014). Can Microblog based Political Discussion contribute to Public Deliberation in China? In CeDEM Asia 2014: Proceedings of Conference for E-Democracy an Open Government, 97-114.
- Zeng, J. (2014). Information construction in crisis communication: Applying ANT to digital media environments. In CeDEM Asia 2014: proceedings of Conference for E-Democracy an Open Government Conference for E-Democracy an Open Government , 261-266.
In the news media
- Australia Broadcasting Corporation (ABc) 2017/12/18. www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-18/wechat-what-you-need-to-know-about-china-social-media-juggernaut/9268036
- The Guardian. 2018/06/27 https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/28/chinas-social-credit-system-could-interfere-in-other-nations-sovereignty
- Wired. 2018/03/20. https://www.wired.com/story/china-feminism-emoji-censorship/
- World Economic Forum. 2018/02/12. https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/02/from-metoo-to-ricebunny-how-social-media-users-are-campaigning-in-china
- QUARTZ. 2017/07/04. https://qz.com/1020474/as-taiwan-legalized-gay-marriage-china-shut-down-its-most-iconic-lesbian-social-media-platform/