- Annual Young Academics Dissertation Award, Swiss Association of Communication and Media Research, for Moritz Büchi's dissertation Digital Inequalities: Differentiated Internet Use and Social Implications.
- Top Faculty Paper Award 2016 of the Communication Law and Policy Division of the ICA – International Communications Association, for the article "Governance by Algorithms: Reality Construction by Algorithmic Selection on the Internet"
- 2016 Emerald Literati Award for Excellence for the journal article "Governance of Algorithms: Options and Limitations"
- Best Paper Award, Annual Conference of the Swiss Association for Communication and Media Research – SACM, for the article "Modeling the second-level digital divide: A five-country study of social differences in Internet use"
- Outstanding Journal Article Award of the German Society of Communications Research (DGPuK) for the article "Medienwandel durch Innovation, Ko-Evolution und Komplexität. Ein Aufriss" (Media change through innovation, co-evolution and complexity. An outline)
- Best Proposal Award 2013 of the Swiss Association for Communication and Media Research – SACM, for the article "Mediennutzungsforschung als strategische Ressource für staatliche Public Diplomacy" (Media use research as strategic resource of state’s public diplomacy)